SSEAYP 2018 Discussion Program
Outline of the Discussion Program
The Discussion Program intends to encourage the Participating Youths (PYs) (1) to deepen their understanding of the current situation of the various fields in each country and motivate them to act for solving problems in the respective fields; as well as (2-a) to promote mutual understanding; (2-b) to improve the PYs’ skills in exchanging views with other participants; and, (2-c) to enhance their abilities in presenting their own ideas in public, through a free-flowing and active exchange of opinions.
Furthermore, it aims to equip the PYs with practical knowledge and skills that are necessary for them to conduct post-program activities, to encourage them to come up with concrete ideas for possible post-program activities and enhance their willingness to actively participate in the post-program activities by providing opportunities for PYs to utilize the results of the Discussion Program.
Role of Facilitators
The Facilitators, who are well-informed and competent for facilitating discussions, shall be appointed to provide support for PYs in the Discussion Program.
Facilitators should have ample knowledge and experience in the respective group themes and the ability to facilitate discussions. As such, they are expected to provide the PYs with guidance and advice to carry out the Discussion Program as well as to utilize the results of the Discussion Program to the Post-Program Session.
- Determine and propose the group objectives for approval of the Administration.
- Draft the basic information and pre-program assignments for approval of the Administration. (Contact the PYs of the group directly for detailed instruction upon approval from the Administration.)
- Coordinate and manage the assigned discussion group.
- Facilitate the group discussions and give support and advice to the PYs of the group in charge.
- Consolidate and summarize DG report made by the PYs of the group and submit it to the Administration.
- Coordinate and manage the sessions of “Introductory Program,” “Introduction to post-program projects design and implementation,” “Workshop for post-program projects design and implementation” and “Presentation of Discussion Results.”
- Attend the meeting with OBSC representatives to turn over the outcomes of the Discussion Activity as well as PYs’ ideas and proposals for post-program activities.
For the details, please refer to the ‘Guideline for the Discussion Program for SSEAYP 2018‘.
Qualification of the Facilitators
- Good command of English to facilitate discussion (reference level: TOEIC 860, TOEFL(iBT) 100, TOEFL(CBT) 250, IELTS 7.0 , or equal ability).
- Basic knowledge and experience in the field of the group theme in charge.
- Able to work from October 28 to December 5, 2018 during the country program in Japan, onboard the ship as well as counties to be visited.
- Able to attend the Facilitators Meeting held in Tokyo from July 30 to August 2, 2018 (including arrival and departure dates).
- Be sound in mental and body.
Facilitator applicants may be nominated by respective governments and/or Alumni Associations. As such, when an applicant nominated by SSEAYP International Singapore (SIS) is successfully selected as a facilitator, the following requirements need to be fulfilled – the successful applicant(s) needs to:
- Attend and assist in at least two sessions of the SSEAYP 2018 Singapore Contingent pre-departure Discussion Program training for that particular year.
- Prepare and give a presentation of the Discussion Program to the SSEAYP 2018 Singapore Contingent (after attending the Facilitators’ Meeting in Japan).
- Attend the Pre-Departure Concert, Send-off Ceremony and Welcome Home Ceremony of the SSEAYP 2018 Singapore Contingent.
- Prepare and give a presentation in the Facilitator Sharing Session in 2019 about the Discussion Program and what it takes to apply to be a facilitator.
- Be in the organizing committee of two SIS events/activities in 2019, one of which has to be a Social Contribution Activity (SCA).
Final Selection: The final decision and selection of discussion facilitators will be made by the Cabinet Office, Government of Japan.
The Government of Japan shall bear the following costs.
- The round-trip economy class airfare from the designated airport by Cabinet Office to Tokyo, Japan to attend the Facilitators Meeting.
- Expenses for accommodations and meals required in the designated itinerary during the Facilitators Meeting.
- The economy class airfare from the designated airport by Cabinet Office to Tokyo, Japan to attend the country program in Japan and onboard program.
- The economy class airfare from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam back to the designated airport by Cabinet Office on December 5, 2018.
- Expenses for accommodations and meals required in the designated itinerary during the country program in Japan.
- Expenses for meals during the onboard program.
- Honorarium for the Facilitators Meeting, country program in Japan and the onboard program (about JPY12,000 (tax excluded) per day).
- Medical and accident insurance during the country program in Japan and onboard program (excluding the Facilitators Meeting).